How should a debtor prepare for bankruptcy?
- Hire an attorney.
- Withdraw funds from a bank or credit union to whom the debtor owes money.
- Stop incurring additional debt.
- Continue to pay on certain debts that will survive the bankruptcy.
- Stop paying debts that will be discharged in bankruptcy.
- Stop repaying debts to family members and/or friends.
- Retain all pay stubs received over the past six months from all employers, credit statements and demand letters.
- Prepare all tax returns that are not filed.